8 basics of HR
Posted December 3, 2009on:
Some time back, Scott MacArthur asked what are the absolute basics of employing someone? Here is my basic list of 8 points.
1. That the employer pays wages to the agreed schedule (but not necessarily in 12 or 52 equal parts).
2. That the employer deducts tax and pays the exchequer with the total annual wages of the employee in mind.
3. That the employer pays other employment taxes which vary from time to time (training levies, insurance, AIDS . . .).
4. That the employer insures the employee while s/he is at work (wise).
5. That the employer ensures the employee is safe while work is being done and trains the employee correspondingly.
6. In many jurisdictions, that the employment agreement is in writing and signed by both parties.
7. That minimum employment conditions of wages, hours, shift times, holiday times and age of employee are met (these vary enormously from jurisdiction to jurisdiction).
8. That the employer does not make decisions on the basis of race, gender . . (vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.)
What are the other absolutes of HR?